Pages

July 29, 2008

Earthquake!!!




Nate and I experienced our first Earthquake today...which is really weird feeling. It was a 5.4 and the epicenter was about 50 miles from us. Nate was on he computer and I was sitting on the floor getting my shoes on. I felt the floor moving and I said, "What is that?" thinking that a truck might have gone by or something in the building. "No, really what the heck is that??" And then we felt the peak of the quake which prompted me to pick up Twiggy and sit under the door frame instead while Nate and are both saying EARTHQUAKE! LOL Yeah, Nate was still at the computer....he says that when he is working on the plane at night his chair is always shaking from the lazer firing so he didn't think too much of it. Then he laughed at me for moving......hey, if that was just the start of a big Earthquake, I would be glad to be where I was! Plus Nate is known for getting injured so it doesn't surprise me that he stayed put :) It wasn't really scary at all, just a weird feeling cause the building is moving so it makes you feel kinda dizzy. Luckily there is not much damage even near the epicenter and I haven't heard of any injuries! Nature always makes me think of God's awesome power-in the same way that the quake is powerful, unexpected and mysterious so is God!

I also have been hired as a substitute teacher :) I will be subing for Bethel Christian School (1-12) Seems to be a really great school, very nice people and appear to be a family. Also hired by the Westside school district (1-8). I hoping that I will be able to have enough job opportunities that I can choose my schedule. I think that if Bethel offered me a full time position, I would consider it just based on the characteristics of the administration and the opportunies it could present for me to grow. We'll see, if God leads me back into full time teaching...it would surely make me laugh!
We are looking forward to a visiter next month-Papa Walters is planning a trip out here :) We are going to check out 2 of the National parks that Nate and I have wanted to visit: Sequioa and Yosemite...I probably spelled those wrong but you know what I mean!
I know that many of you have heard either from myself or from Malia regarding her ministry/career. Please keep her in your prayers. I believe God has confirmed that she IS supposed to be doing this and she is getting more support slowly. Pray for patience and endurance as she really wants to be on campus but is most likely going to have to wait a little longer than initially hoped. Thank you!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shalane!! I'm glad you guys endured the earthquake! Thanks for all of the updates.. its good to hear how you both are doing! That's awesome about the substitute teaching.. So, we are slowly getting some neighbors in Manchester.. I am excited for you guys to get back! I met Al down the street who seems to be nice.. I think he is friends with Kyle.. Anyways.. you guys take care.. talk to you soon.

Kristin

Caroline said...

Wow - that must have been crazy. I'm so glad that you are all ok, though! And congrats on the job!

Unknown said...

Cuz! Thanks for the updates..I love this site!! Congrats on the subing jobs out there..God is in control and we have to always remember that. Thank God for no crazy damage from the quakes! Love you lots!!

Alyson said...

Hey Shalane! I never watch the news so I have no idea what's going on in the world, but Kelly mentioned the earthquake last night at Bible study and I thought of you guys. I'm glad y'all are alright. You are so stinkin' hilarious! I'm just imagining Nathan saying "Earthquake" while he continues to sit on his butt and not budge! So funny, so Nathan! Congrats on the sub jobs! God has a sense of humor doesn't he, did you think you'd be back in a classroom? Miss you guys!

Alyson

Anonymous said...

nathan you are good surfer....did shalane tell you about me scaring her in the garage at carolwood??you should be ashamed of yourself for scaring your wife like that...dad

Anonymous said...

Love you guys, glad you are ok. Hi Twiggy!!! Kyle misses you! I read that you are going to Sequoia National Park. I've been there and it is awesome. The trees are unbelievable. The kids say Hi too!
Love and blessings